Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WIGs

Today I'm going to talk to you about Wildly Improbable Goals, or "WIG"s. As usual, I'm stealing this from my homey, Martha Beck.

I know I've talked about the Law of Attraction before and I think this goes together with that concept. The reason I'm writing about this today is because it works. Or I'm pretty sure it works, it seems to be working for me.

Here's the deal: What do you want to have in your life? Do you want to go to Europe? Get a new bike? Make $100 extra dollars this month? Buy a new house?

Pick something that you feel really good about - something that feels within the realm of possibility. I'm not going to tell you to set yourself up with a WIG like making 2.5 million dollars in the next 30 days selling boot legged copies of a Backstreet Boys concert from 1999 from the back of your pickup truck, because it ain't gonna happen. I'm talking something realistic, but maybe just slightly beyond what you normally would stretch for.

I currently have a couple that I'm working on. One is about increasing the traffic to my blogs, and one is about getting three new clients this month (one down, two to go!). You have to think of things you want that make you feel EXCITED; things you really want.

Once you come up with a couple things, write down the WIG on the top of a sheet of paper. Below the WIG write the steps you'd need to take to achieve this goal. For instance, with increasing my blogging traffic I listed things like
  • Find more relevant blogs to comment on
  • Comment everyday on other blogs
  • Get blog listed in as many places as possible
  • Blog often
  • Mention blog on Facebook
  • Read up on getting your blog read
After making a basic list such as this, you need to break down these steps into teeny, tiny, minuscule steps that you KNOW you can get done.

Read up on getting your blog read
  • Research online sites for articles on getting my blog read
  • Read articles that seem pertinent
  • Bookmark online articles to revisit info frequently
  • Follow through with suggestions listed
I could go on and on, these steps can get really, really specific. The idea is to make the steps to the goal seem manageable, even if the goal is bigger than what you normally have reached for.

I think there is another really important element to this whole process - your belief in it. First of all, it has to be something you genuinely want, something you get that open, excited feeling about. Second, you have to believe you can have it. You have to stay open to the idea that this really can happen. Third, I think you have to believe you deserve it. Maybe that's just me, but I doubt I'm the only one who thinks things like "I don't deserve to make more money" or some other story along that same theme.

Put your heart into it. Pick things you truly desire that make you feel free and alive, and go for it! Believe in yourself, in your goals, and they'll come to you.

Be Joyful!

1 comment:

Anais said...

You're on my blog roll!!! :) Maybe when you comment you could add a "signature" that says what your blog is about, because I'm sure when people will know about it they'll read it daily like me ;)